Steaming is a great way to cook fish because it’s quick and keeps the fish moist and full of flavour. This perfectly cooked fish is steamed with a snappy ginger & tomato sauce. Delicious! Fore more pictures and Marie’s full recipe & blog follow this link: https://theenglishkitchen.blogspot.com/2019/09/steamed-sea-trout-with-ginger-tomato.html#more
- 4 Sea Trout fillets, skinned
- 1 TBS light olive oil
- 8 basil leaves, rolled and julienned
- the juice of one lemon
- fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper to taste
For the Ginger & Tomato Sauce:
- 2 large beef steak tomatoes, peeled and seeded
- 55g fresh ginger, peeled and sliced (2 ounces)
- 45g salted butter (3 TBS)
- Tear a sheet of aluminium foil large enough to enclose the fish fillets in a single layer. Oil it lightly. Place the fish fillets onto it and brush each with some oil. Season with salt and pepper and sprinkle with the basil leaves. Squeeze the juice of the lemon over top. Pull the foil over top to enclose completely, leaving some air space. Seal tightly and set aside.
- Put the tomatoes and ginger into the cup of an immersion blender or liquidiser. Blitz until smooth and then pass through a fine sieve. Discard any solids.
- Put the packet of fish in the basket of a steamer, over boiling water. Cover the steamer. Steam over the boiling water for 7 to 8 minutes until cooked through. Remove and set aside while you finish the sauce.
- Place the sauce in a saucepan and bring just to the simmer. Don't allow it to boil. Break the butter into bits and whisk in a bit at a time until you have a lovely glossy sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning.
- Place a pool of sauce on each of four heated dinner plates. Place a cook fillet of Sea Trout on top of each and serve with your favourite vegetables.
Note: Regular trout and salmon can also be cooked in this manner.